NATIONAL SERVICE SCHEME(N.S.S)
Aims and Objectives
The aim of the scheme is to instill into the students a sense of participation in the progress of the country, voluntary service to the community and humanity at large and inculcate a senses of devotion toward the mother land. It’s intends to make the students self-reliant and practical minded. It objective is to develop character, emotional integration and leadership.
The N.S.S. Unit of Women’s College Bolangir is affiliated to Sambalpur University. Student of all classes are eligible to enroll their names. Enrolments are made in the beginning of the session
Participants in the scheme will work for at least two hours a week on different social service programme to be announced by the OPfficer-in-Charge from time to time. Irregularity in the discharge of duties will severely dealt with
Besides, rendering the service during the session, the participants are to join a holiday camp to be organised by the College Unit. Further, they will have the chance to participate in the Inter College Camps, Inter University Camps and All India Youth Camps. the participants for those Camps will be finally selected by the University.
NATIONAL CADET CORPS (NCC)
In view of the non-availability of eligible lady teaching staff members the NCC wing of the college is lying disfunctional by sometime now.Efforts are on to revive it once eligible lady teachers are posted by the government.
THE COLLEGE MAGAZINE.
The College publishes an annual magazine named “ANANYA”, the matchless beauty of literary efforts. It carries literary writings of students and members of the staff as well. The magazine is edited by a Chief Editor with the assistance of a Board of Editors, all nominated by the Principal from among the members of the teaching staff.
Original literary writings in Odia, Hindi, Sanskrit and English alongwith the annual reports of different Associations, photographs and drawings are published in the magazine. Plagiarism is a serious offence. A student has to certify the genuineness of her writing while submitting it. Any breach of this principle is punishable.
YOUTH RED CROSS (YRC)
As per govt. rules there is one Youth Red Cross Wing functioning effectively in the Govt.Women’s College, Balangir. The motto of the YRC is “ service to mankind is service to God.” The Principal of G.W.C Bgr. is the chairman of YRC and there are two counsellors to manage the affairs of the YRC wing. Currently, the YRC wing of the college consists of over one hundred volunteers ever ready to take part in humanitarian camps, donate blood, help the needy and spread awareness about various health and other programmes.
RED RIBBON CLUB (RRC)
To generate awareness about the killer disease HIV / AIDS among the vulnerable masses, the Youth Red Cross undertook the effort to open Red Ribbon Club in the college in 2007 on 30th of November 2007 the YRC with an initial membership of 36 student volunteers. The basic aim of RRC of our college is to make whole hearted 36 student volunteers. The basic aim of RRC of our college is to make whole hearted attempt to create awareness among people about the modus operandi to the dreaded disease as awareness is medicine for HIV/AIDS.
An Anti-Ragging Cell is functioning in the institution comprising the Principal of the college, two Senior Lecturers,two 1st year Jr.students and two Sr. Students of the college,one NGO representative to prevent ragging. The meeting of the Anti-Ragging Cell is held as and when the need for the same arises.
Prevention of Ragging in Educational Institution (Lt.No. 1041 / HE / 14.1.08) If any incident of Ragging comes to the notice of the College Authorities the student concerned shall be given liberty to explain and if her explanation is not found satisfactory, the authority would expel her from the institution. (No III HE Adm 54/06 – 1041 / HE Date 14.1.08)
.(No CP10/2009 – 19408 Cand HR. BBSR – 6/4/2009)
RIGHT TO INFORMATION (RTI) CELL
On 1st October, 2005 the Govt. of India passed the Right to Information Act 2005. In exercise of the power conferred by section 27 of the RTI Act, the Odisha State Govt. has made a number of rules which are applicable to all Govt. Establishments / Departments, etc.
In Govt. Women’s College, Balangir and Govt. Women’s Jr. College, Balangir there are one Public Information Officer (PIO) and one Assistant Public Information Officer (APIO) for the Degree College and Junior College respectively.There are two FAAs for both wings with the principal being the public authority of the college.
CAREER AND COUNSELLING CELL
As per Govt. of Odisha and UGC guidelines one career and counselling cell is functioning in the college with well-informed members of the staff in it.The main objective of the cell is to impart students of the college career-oriented counselling by experts from different fields and discipline.The cell is to inform students about career options and oppertunities in different areas of employment and education.A separate Notice Board has been fixed up to notify/paste career-related matters for the information of students at large.The Youth Policy-2013 of the Govt. carries special provisions and emphasis for the functioning of such cells in all colleges of the state.
STUDENT ADVISORY BODY
The Youth Policy -2013 of the Odisha state government talks in specific terms about the need and importance of one Student Advisory Body in each and every college of the state. The body contains members from the teaching staff, administration, students/student bodies, responsible members from the locality, reputed academicians and so on.The main aim of such a body is to advise students on matters relating to academic functionings, college environment, discipline, development, diffusion and dissemination of knowledge, extra-academic participation and performance and other matters relating to the empowerment of college students and youth.
PREVENTION OF SEXUAL HARASSMENT CELL
Following the directives from the government and the UGC,the Govt.Women’s College/Jr.College, Bolangir has put in place a cell to prevent sexual harassment and abuse of girl students and female members/employees of the college.The cell has been constituted strictly as per the directions of the govt. and related agencies including the judiciary.The cell contains lady members of the staff along with the representatives of girl students and one NGO member associated with such matter.Any matter having ingredients of sexual harassment of both direct and indirect types be reported to the cell for prevention and appropriate redressal.
The college Building Committee has been formed as per the directives of the UGC to deal with matters relating to construction,maintainence,repair and renovation of college buildings.The committee is to co-ordinate with the college authority and work for the infrastructural development of the college.
COLLEGE DEVELOPMENT COMMITTEE
One college Development Committee(CDC) has been formed in the college to look into developmental aspects of the college.The committee contains responsible members of the teaching staff who have a role to play in the overall development of the institution.The committee which is chaired by the principal,meets several times in a session to discuss and resolve on matters relating to the development of the college.
THE COLLEGE FINANCE COMMITTEE.
Govt.Women’s College, Bolangir has constituted a Finance Committee to advise the college administration on matters having financial implications.The committee consists of the Principal,Account Bursars(both implications.The committee consists of the Principal,Account Bursars(both +2 and +3) and the Administrative Bursar of the college.All financial issues are discussed threatbare and the committee forwards recommendations to the college authorities for effective financial administration and control.
INTERNAL QUALITY ASSURANCE CELL (IQAC)
Following the directives of the UGC, the Govt.Women’s Degree College has constituted one Internal Quality Assurance Cell (IQAC) with senior members of the teaching staff to monitor and maintain the internal quality of the institution.The cell’s role is to work for the improvement and maintainance of the quality of teaching,teachers , methods and techniques within the institution.The scope of the IQAC includes quality assurance and maintaince on both hardware and software components of the institution.
LANGUAGE AND COMMUNICATION SKILLS LABORATORY:
The Department Of Higher Education, Govt. of Odisha has funded for the installation of Language and Communication Skills Laboratory on the first floor of the Library building. The laboratory consists of all modern gadgets with the multi-media learning facilities. Its use is not only limited to language communication skills but it extended to the teaching of other subjects in an audio-visual manner. Students can understand and learn a particular subject very quickly because of its audio-visual effect. Students of the college enjoy this sort of teaching-learning activity to a great extent.
THE COLLEGE GYMNASIUM
With the help of the funds released by the government under the 12th Finance Commission rewards,this college has been able to have a Multi-GYM with state of the art modern equipment for both students and staff.The Gymnasium is located at the first floor of the Library building and has been kept under the control and management of the college PET.Students are advised to take advantage of the facility because academic excellence without physical well-being has no meaning
Th The Govt.Women’s College,Bolangir is proud to have a state-of-the-art Conference Hall which has been constructed with the financial help rendered by the govt. under the 12th Finance Commission awards.The airconditioned conference hall is well-equipped with modern furnitures,sound system,speaker system and projector with screen. All important meettings,seminars and conferences are being organised in this conference hall.
SELF-DEFENCE TRAINING TO STUDENTS
The Youth Policy -2013 of the Govt. of Odisha emphasises on the need and urgency of imparting self-defence training to college students especially girl students so that we can control the increasing menace of attacks and brutality on women.Our college has already started taking initiatives in imparting such training to students.A self-defence training committee has been formed consisting of the officers-in-charge of NSS and YRC to co-ordinate with the nodal college and see the programme through. Efforts are on to implement this innovative govt.programme with complete sincerity.Students of the college are advised to take advantage of this programme to the maximum extent possible and participate wholeheartedly for a violance-free tomorrow.
As per the Govt. of Odisha and UGC guidelines one placement cell is functioning in the college under the supervision of well-informed Officer-in-charge. The main objective of the said cell is to impart student of the college career oriented counseling by experts from different discipline and field. The said cell is to inform student about career options and opportunities in different areas of employment and education. A separate notice board has been fixed up to notify/ paste career related matters for the information of the students.
There are the following Societies and Associations for the students in the College.
The College Union:
- The College Union shall be the sole tribune of students’ opinion inside the College.
- Every student of the College is a member of the Union and is eligible for election to any of its offices.
- The meeting of the Union shall be open to all the members of the staff, who, if they so desire, can take part in the proceedings of the meeting.
- Function of the College Union are as follows :-
- To develop the interest of the students in various cultural activities by organizing discussions on the general, social, cultural, economic, academic, national and international problems.
- To invite eminent persons to address the Union.
- To organize debates.
- To take up such other activities as proposed by the Union and approved by the Principal.
- Office bearers:- The following shall be the office bearers of the Union.
1. The President 2. The Vice-President 3. The Secretary 4. The Assistant Secretary
5. Class representatives
All members of the Union are eligible to stand for the post of President, Vice-President, Secretary and Assistant Secretary of the Union.
One representative shall be elected from each class.
- There shall be an Executive Committee of the College Union consisting of the following members.
i) Advisor ii) President
iii) Vice-President iv) Secretary
v) Assistant Secretary
vi) Representatives from three classes
- Advisor:- There will be an advisor nominated by the Principal from among the members of the teaching staff.
The Advisor shall preside over the ordinary meetings of the Union. He/She will assist, whenever, necessary, by helpful suggestion in the proper conduct of the meetings. The President may refer to him/her any problem and any rule for interpretation. In all such cases, the decision of the Advisor may if he/she is unable to be present at meeting request a member of the staff to the staff to take his / her place and such a member shall discharge all the functions of the Advisor.
- The President shall preside over all ordinary meetings of the Union. In her absence the Executive Committee will nominate a member from among themselves to preside over the meeting. The President shall be responsible for maintaining discipline and order.
- In the absence of the President, the Vice-President will assume all the rights and discharge all the duties of the President.
- The Secretary shall give notice of ordinary meetings and record the minutes of the meeting whether annual, ordinary or extraordinary.
- The Assistant Secretary shall assist the Secretary in the discharge of her duties and in her absence perform all her functions.
- Once in the beginning of each session, the Principal shall meet the members of the Union for purpose of electing the office bearers of the Union. The Principal or her nominee shall preside over the meeting.
- Nominations to such electors duly seconded shall reach the Principal in writing three days before the date of election.
- The signature of the proposer, the seconder and the candidate contesting shall be written clearly on the nomination paper.
- The names of the nominees shall be placed on the general notice board forty eight hours before the date of election.
- Any body wishing to withdraw her nomination can do so by submitting an application to the Principal twenty four hours before the date of election.
- Pre-election speeches may be delivered one day prior to elections with the permission of the Principal and the Advisor in the chair at such special meeting.
- Mode of Election:-
- Every member of the Union has the right to vote in every election.
- No members shall give more than one vote for each office
- No member can contest the election for more than one candidate contesting for the same post.
- Election shall be conducted and votes recorded and attested in such a manner as the Principal shall decide.
- The candidate obtaining the highest number of votes shall be determined as
- The candidate obtaining the highest number of votes shall be determined as selected.
- In case of a tie in the election, the successful candidate shall be determined by lot.
- Vacancies in office:-
- The officer-bearers shall hold office for the entire session unless
- They cease to be the students of the College
- They voluntarily resign in writing to Principal or
- They are removed as provided in the rules mentioned below.
- An office-bearer who fails in the proper discharge of her duties can be removed by a vote of no confidence passed by the members of the Union present at an extra ordinary meeting called for the purpose.
- Any office falling vacant shall be filledup by holding a by-election. The procedure for by election shall be the same as for the annual election.
- Ordinary meeting of the Union may be called
- At the Principal’s discretion or
- On a written requisition addressed to the Principal and signed by not less than two hundred members. The Principal or any member of the staff nominated by him/her shall preside over any extra ordinary meeting.
- Notice – The Secretary shall an use notice to be issued two working days before each ordinary meeting, intimating the date and time of the meeting.
- Procedure of the Meeting
- In the absence of both the President and the Vice-President in the ordinary meeting the members present will elect Chairman from among themselves who shall resume all the rights and discharge all the duties of the President during that meeting.
- At the commencement of each ordinary meeting the Secretary shall read the minutes of the last ordinary meeting and subsequent meetings of the Union if any. The minutes on being approved by the members present shall be signed by the President.
- The President may call any meeting in case of a member disobeys or disagrees
- The President may call any meeting in case of a member disobeys or disagrees with any order or ruling of the President or Advisor or her/his Deputy. The President may forthwith ask the members to withdraw from the meeting and should report her name to the Principal it necessary. The Principal may dissolve the meeting.
- Rules for amendment
- The amendment to any of these rules shall be considered only during the annual meeting of the Union.
- No amendment will be in order which is not duly seconded and of which a weeks notice has not been received.
- All amendments before it becomes effective must be passed by the majority of the members present at the annual meeting and must receive the approval of the Principal.
- No amendment to any of these rules will be given effect to during the academic year in which the amendment is passed.
- The funds of Union shall be under the control of the Principal.
- The Principal shall be the final authority in all matters relating to the Union.
- There shall be an Athletic Society of the College named Govt. Women’s Athletic Society, Balangir.
- All the students of the College shall be members of the Society.
- The Principal of the College shall be the Ex-Officio President of the Society
- One member of the teaching staff of the College shall be the Ex-Officio Vice-President of the Society.
- The Principal can ask any office bearer to resign on the ground of misconduct, indiscipline and inefficiency. He/She can nominate another office-bearer in her place till the next election.
- The Principal as the final authority in matters relating to the society has the right to make new rules if she/he thinks it necessary in the interest of the Society.
- There shall be an Executive Committee of the Athletic Society comprising:-
- Vice-President-One member of the College staff to be nominated by the President.
- Secretary – Any member of the Society is eligible to contest for the Secretaryship of the Society.
- Assistant Secretary:- Any member of the Society is eligible to contest for the Assistant Secretaryship of the Society.
- The Executive Committee shall look into the general management of the Society. It shall promote the spirit of games and athletic among the students. No decision of the Society shall be deemed to be final till it is approved by the Principal.
The Day Scholars’ Association:
- The name of the Association shall be Govt. Women’s College Day Scholars Association.
- All the students of the College except the boarders shall be the members of the Association.
- Ex-Officio President – Principal
- Ex-Officio V.P.- One member of the teaching staff.
- Secretary- Any member of the society can contest for the post.
- Assistant Secretary-Any member of the society can contest for the post.
- Class Representatives from each class
- The Following shall be the functions of the Association.
- To observe Sri Ganesh & Sri Saraswati Puja.
- To conduct competitions among the Day Scholars.
The Drama Society:
- The name of the Society shall be Govt. Women’s College Drama Society.
- All the students of the College shall be the members of the Society.
- Ex-officio President – Principal
- Ex-officio Vice-President – One member of the teaching staff nominated by the Principal.
- Secretary-Any member of the Society can contest for the Secretaryship of the Society.
- Assistant Secretary-Any member of the Society can contest for the Assistant Secretaryship of the Society.
- There shall be an Executive Committee consisting of
i) Vice-President ii) Secretary
iii) Assistant Secretary iv) One representative from each class.
- A subscription of Rs. 10/- shall be collected from each student every year
- The following shall be the functions of the Society-
- To stage drama, arrange variety of entertainment and musical performance from among the students.
- Popularize the culture of music, dance etc.
- To arrange music competitions among the students from time to time and.
- To perform such other functions which may deem necessary in the interests of the Drama Society of the College.
- Functions of the Secretary:-
The Secretary shall
- Keep minutes of the Society.
- Select the drama, that will be staged in consultation with the Vice-President subject to the final approval by the Principal.
- Prepare and submit the budget for the year before the Executive Committee and keep the accounts.
- Prepare a general report of the working of the society and.
- Perform such other activities as the Executive Committee shall suggest from time to time.
- When the Secretary is an examinee she shall cease to function after the date of the publication of the Test results.
- The Assistant Secretary shall assist the Secretary in performing her functions and shall assume all responsibilities in the absence of the Secretary.
The Planning Forum:
- The name of the Forum shall be Govt Women’s College Planning Forum, Bolangir.
- The aim of the forum is to spread Plan Consciousness among the teachers and the students of the College and through them among the public. To promote this the Forum will organize form time to time discussions, seminars, symposia, etc relating to planning and economic development of the country and undertake constructive activities such as small savings programmes etc., which are helpful for successful implementation of the country’s plans. The Forum shall also organize an Information Center to disseminate knowledge and information regarding the plans.
- The membership of the Forum is open to all students and members of the teaching staff of the College. There shall be an Executive Committee of the Planning Forum comprising-
- Ex- Officio President – Principal
- Ex-Officio Vice-President – A member of the teaching staff of the Economics Department, nominated by the Principal.
- Ex-Officio Members- One teacher of the Economics Department, and one teacher of the Commerce Department.
- Secretary – Any member of the Planning Forum is eligible to contest for the post of Secretary
- Assistant Secretary-Any member of the planning Forum is eligible to contest for the post of Assistant Secretary.
- The Secretary shall convene all meetings of the Forum, organise discussions, seminars etc. and keep records of all the meetings, decisions and other activities and maintain register for it.
- The Assistant Secretary shall assist the Secretary in performing the duties and shall assume all the responsibilities during the absence of the Secretary.
- There shall be a Debating Society named Govt. Women’s College Debating Society, Bolangir.
- All the students of the College shall be the members of the Society.
- The Principal shall be the ex-office President of the Society.
- One member of the staff shall be nominated as the Vice-President.
- All the members of the Society are eligible to contest for the post of Secretary and Assistant Secretary of the Society.
- Selection of office-bearers must take place at the beginning of the academic session every year.
- The Society will organize debates and discussions at least once in a fortnight
- The students and members of the staff are entitled to participating in the debate.
- The Principal may ask any office bearer to resign on the grounds of misconduct, 9. The Principal may ask any office bearer to resign on the grounds of misconduct, indiscipline and inefficiency. She may nominate another office bearer in her place.